The CSA Season is About to Begin! Here are Some Recipe Ideas for Your Early Season Boxes
We couldn’t be more excited to kick off our 2017 CSA in just under a week. Despite the slower start to our farm season in the Portland area due to a long, cold, and very wet winter, our crops are looking great in the field and are almost ready to be harvested for our first round of CSA boxes. We’re still taking new members for our CSA! If you’d like to sign up, just fill out our registration form here!
During our first month of CSA shares, we expect shares to include: peas, spinach, head lettuce, kale, chard, radishes, hakurei turnips, garlic scapes, salad mix, mustard greens, kohlrabi, parsley, and cilantro.
Later in the summer, we look forward to: basil, tomatoes, eggplant, hot peppers, sweet peppers, onions, summer squash, beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, beets, and more!
Our members will receive weekly emails updating them with what exactly will be in their boxes.
Here’s a few recipe recommendations to think about trying in the coming weeks:
Garlic Scape Pesto
- 1 pound garlic scapes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ground black pepper to taste
- Blend the garlic scapes, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper together in a food processor until smooth.
- 1 bunch of red radishes, about 1 1/2 cups finely chopped (choose a variety that suits your taste)
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, about 1/2 cup finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 pinches of salt
- Wash the radishes and remove the stems and any long roots. Finely cube the radishes into tiny pieces.
- Wash the parsley and gently shake it or pat it dry. Finely mince the parsley.
- Place the cubed radishes and minced parsley in a small salad bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss gently.
- Add the olive oil and toss again.
- Taste the salad and make adjustments to your liking. (I sometimes add a little bit more lemon juice and salt).
Spring Radish Salad