Join Our Team as a Farm Field-hand!
Schoolyard Farms (SYF) is seeking a part-time, seasonal Farm Field-hand for the 2017 growing season. The Field-hand will participate in all aspects of managing a small-scale production farm. Schoolyard Farms grows over 40 different annual and perennial fruits and vegetables. The produce is grown for an 85-member CSA, Head Start, local grocers and the school cafeteria. Our ideal candidate has a background in farming, and a passion for outdoor education. This position is hands-on, and can be physically rigorous. The field hand will work primarily with the farm manager, and is an integral part to the Schoolyard Farms community, working alongside garden educators, summer camp participants, students, and volunteers. We’re willing to train the right person.
Farm Field-hand Responsibilities:
- Field work: Schoolyard Farms does most of their farming by hand. This includes seeding, planting, weeding, harvesting, bed preparations, watering, trellising, washing and packing produce
- Small machine maintenance and operation, including weed whackers, mowers and tillers
- Wash/pack on harvest days (Tuesdays & Wednesdays)
- General farm maintenance: tool and equipment care
- Produce sales and customer interaction
- Working with youth (primarily students from New Urban High School) and mentoring summer interns from New Urban High School’s job training program
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Demonstrated experience with some farming and gardening
- Physical fitness and ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Self-motivated: farm work requires physical and mental endurance, and farm days are spent outside in any weather
- Flexible: Farm work is dynamic, field hand must be able to shift gears quickly and efficiently
- Collaborative: field hand must be comfortable working as a team
- At least one year farming experience
- Experience working with children elementary to high school age
- Owns a reliable vehicle for transportation
- This is a part-time, seasonal position from April – October 2017, with an average of 20 hours of work per week
- You will be scheduled to work Tuesday thru Friday from 8:30-1:30 pm, two days a week will be spent at the Candy Lane Farm and two days will be at the New Urban Farm. Schedule negotiable for the right candidate
- Some schedule flexibility required for special events with advance notice
- Hourly rate: $11
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter answering the following questions: (1) Why do you want to work at Schoolyard Farms? (2) What prior experience do you have with farming and/or gardening? (3) What experience do you have with physical work? (4) What three attributes would co-workers, family and friends all agree that you possess? to Schoolyard Farms’ Farm Manager, Annika La Fave, at email@example.com by 5:00pm on Friday, March 10, 2017.
We regret that due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Schoolyard Farms provides equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, affectional orientation or gender identity, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, or age.
About Schoolyard Farms:
Schoolyard Farms (SYF) is a nonprofit that creates healthier communities by teaching about and growing food on underused schoolyards. Since it was founded in 2012, we have reach thousands of kids each year through our various programs, increasing the likelihood that they’ll grow up to be healthy adults. We have a total of 1.5 acres in production at 2 schools, where 1,100 kids received hands-on garden lessons. We’ve grown 6,000 pounds of produce harvested for the community each year. Our two farm sites are at Candy Lane Elementary, our one-acre pilot farm where we host our summer camp, and at New Urban High School, our half-acre farm where we host our youth job-training program. We harvest produce from the farms for our 85 member CSA, restaurants and our partner schools. Both farms are located in Milwaukie, OR–a quick drive from downtown Portland.