Join Our Team as a 2016 Summer Camp Educator Intern!
This summer, Schoolyard Farms is offering the community 8 weeks of summer day camp inviting 1st-6th grade campers to explore and farm the schoolyard with us!
The Summer Farm Camp Educator Internship is a stipended position reporting to the Farm Camp Director Brooke Hieserich of Schoolyard Farms. Farm Camp Educator Interns will collaborate with all- camp staff to set-up, clean-up, lead and evaluate daily onsite activities engaging campers in exploring the farm, participating in farm tasks, preparing healthy snacks, farm arts and crafts, scientific inquiry, and active play.
Schoolyard Farms is a young organization looking to expand in the near future. Interning with Schoolyard Farms will allow you to grow your skills, get to know a growing organization, and could turn into a long-term opportunity. Please share your goals and expectations with us!
- June 20 – August 19th, 2016. We break for the July 4th holiday July 4-8
- A consistent presence at Camp at 3-4 days a week, Monday through Friday, from 8:30am-4pm, your schedule permitting
- Must be available for Farm Camp Staff training the week of June 13th
- Lead in providing for the safety and care for the unique needs of campers outdoors
- Lead in bringing camp curriculum to life for high-energy groups of 1st-6rd grade campers including activity planning, prep, leadership, clean-up, and evaluation
- Enthusiastically role model healthy eating, active living, appropriate attire and appropriate use of technology
- Observe Schoolyard Farms’ Food Safety, Farm Safety, 1st Aid, and Emergency Protocol
- Commit to consistent attendance, timeliness, and finding own transportation to and from site. Educators will collaborate with staff to track their service hours
- Contribute to a safe, inclusive, diverse and fun learning community at Schoolyard Farms
- Must pass a criminal background check
- At least 18 years of age, or will provide an adult contact + support person if under 18
- Experience leading children and youth in outdoor education programs
- Experience farming and gardening in the Pacific Northwest
- Enthusiasm to take initiative and learn new things
- Enthusiasm to observe, improvise, give and receive feedback, and grow!
- $1,000 total for 4 day/wk commitment for 9 weeks or $750 total for 3 day/wk commitment for 9 weeks
- College credits (check with your school)
- Grow as a Leader!
- Professional References and Networking
- Experience leading and developing outdoor education programs
- Knowledge of sustainable farming practices in the Pacific Northwest
How to Apply:
Email Summer Camp Director, Brooke Hieserich, at firstname.lastname@example.org for a Summer Camp Intern Application. Once you receive the application, send it back to her by 5:00pm on June 6th, 2016 or by the date of special arrangement. All applicants must be available for Farm Camp Staff training the week of June 13th. Thank you for your interest in interning with us!
Schoolyard Farms provides equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, affectional orientation or gender identity, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, or age.
About Schoolyard Farms:
Schoolyard Farms (SYF) is a nonprofit that creates healthier communities by teaching about and growing food on underused schoolyards. Since its founding in 2012, Schoolyard Farms has partnered with Candy Lane Elementary to manage and cultivate one-acre of the schoolyard; integrated the farm into 300 students’ classroom lessons weekly while teaching them where food comes from and how to grow it; hosted farm-based summer camp for 1ts-6th graders; grown over 3,000 lbs. of produce for 35 CSA members, Head Start and the Farmers Market, each year; and built community partnerships with organizations like the Clackamas County Juvenile Department and the Soil and Water Conservation District. This year, SYF is growing to its second site, New Urban High School, and is looking for dedicated people to join the team.